Friday, February 04, 2005

 

RIP: John Vernon

John Vernon, who has died aged 72, played the Mayor in Dirty Harry.

Vernon and Eastwood exchanged some of the most wonderful dialog ever to emanate from a screenwriter's pen, in a scene shot in the then San Francisco Mayor Alioto's actual office:

V: "Oh and Callahan, I don't want any more trouble like you had last year in the Fillmore district, understand? That's my policy"
E: "Oh.. when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard, that's my policy"
V: "Intent? How did you establish that?"
E: "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"

He was also in The Outlaw Josey Wales and Charley Varrick, as well as numerous other movies.

What a truly great actor.

RIP.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?